We are seeking a Master’s Thesis student to join OX2’s energy storage team.
At OX2, you work for a professional and ambitious company that is committed to accelerating access to renewable energy to speed up the transition to clean energy. We are multi-specialists to the core, offering a dynamic and inspiring workplace and enabling seamless, cross-functional collaboration to achieve optimal results. At OX2 we empower you to take action, giving you the freedom and accountability to make great things happen, to make a lasting impact.
Energy storage contributes to the transition to renewable energy by providing services to the electricity system, such as ancillary / frequency response services, capacity reserve, local grid services, renewable co-location services and energy trading (arbitrage).
Modelling of an energy storage asset in a certain location and market is key to maximize the value of a project. The complex combination of market, technology, project specifics and wide range of services makes modelling one of the most interesting areas in which we are developing expertise at OX2. For example, OX2 has recently started to apply modelling tools to simulate and design energy storage systems. We are now looking to setup a Master Thesis project within energy storage simulation and analytics to further optimize the tools to model and simulate our energy storage projects as well as looking at assessment of actual operations.
We expect the thesis to bring us deeper knowledge and develop numerical tools to optimize design and assess operations of our project. Focusing on specific markets and project cases, the results will be implemented into our daily business, thereby enabling OX2 to continue its journey to become a leading energy storage project developer.
About the role
The Master Thesis student will join our central OX2 energy storage team. The energy storage team is responsible for the energy storage product: commercial and technical setup of our energy storage projects, including commercial analysis, modelling, engineering, procurement and support in construction of utility-scale energy storage systems.
We are responsible for growing OX2’s energy storage business across our markets in Europe as well as working closely together with our teams in Australia and the US.
Some of your responsibilities:
Final scope of the Master Thesis is to be defined by the student, the University and OX2, but some guidelines have been defined already:
• Perform programming and development of simulation tools.
• Gather in-depth experience in energy storage systems and modelling.
• Work pro-active and self-driven to complete the project within scope and time.
• Bring academic knowledge into the way of working at OX2.
• Collaborate with OX2 colleagues, University and other stakeholders to gather the support and input needed to successfully complete the thesis project.
• Maintain an organized and clearly documented set of thesis project deliverables.
• Support the Energy Storage team in setting up modelling ways of working and implement these in new projects.
We are looking for you who is:
• Eager to join us in the Great Shift to renewable energy.
• Driven by technology, enjoying hands-on technical and modelling work but as well understanding commercial aspects of projects.
• Driven and proactive – a person who tries to be one step ahead and is not afraid of reaching out for support and input to experts within and outside of OX2.
• Problem solving.
• Well organized.
• Strong communication skills both internal and external, able to make informative and persuasive presentations to supervisors, OX2 colleagues and other stakeholders.
Professional Experience and Education
• You are a Master of Science student in Engineering.
• You have a basic understanding of and completed courses in energy systems and business economics.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Other languages, such as Swedish, Italian, Polish, French or Spanish will be valued positively.
• Skilled in Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Project and Excel.
• Skilled in programming optimization in for example Python is meriting.
OX2 will offer
• At OX2, you will work for an ambitious company that is committed to accelerating access to renewable energy to speed up the transition to renewable energy. We are offering a dynamic and inspiring workplace where we collaborate in an international environment to create impact.
• A thesis project within one of the most relevant current challenges within the energy sector.
• Supervision by key people from our central energy storage team.
• Access to a wide network of energy storage and renewable energy professionals.
• Office place and IT tools to perform the thesis.
• HQ (Stockholm), or other countries depending on candidate. Notably the role will be part of an international team, where mgmt. may sit in different country.
• The student is expected to work at OX2’s office at least 3 days a week.
• Flexible start date and duration, depending on University’s requirements, but the sooner the better
OX2 is a fully integrated provider of renewable energy solutions at scale. We are an international multi-technology company bringing together the brightest minds and most ambitious team players to address the defining challenge of our time: the shift from fossil fuels to clean energy, the greater shift to a sustainable society and economy. We accelerate the access to renewable energy. Sales in 2022 was about 7,6 billion SEK. The company has almost 500 employees and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. OX2 is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm since 2022.
For more information visit: www.ox2.com